Registration of Non Governmental Organisations in Uganda
Applications are made to the National Bureau of Non Governmental Organisations.
This application form is addressed to the Secretary of the Bureau and contains the following;
- Name of the Organization.
- Country of origin.
- Proposed physical address.
- Particulars of any affiliated organization whether within or outside Uganda.
- Objects of the organization.
- Classes of persons to whom the organization is open.
- Present number of members.
- Tittles of officers of the organization.
- Names, occupations and addresses of present or proposed officers of the organization.
- Sources of funding.
- Property (if any) and the manner in which it is held, acquired, or vested.
- Bankers of the organization.
- Any privileges, immunities or exemptions requested by the organization from government.
- Names, signatures and passport size photographs of the promoters.
- The form must be dated.
This form must be accompanied by
- A certificate of incorporation (this applies where the organization is an already legally registered entity e.g. a company limited by guarantee).
- A copy of the organization’s constitution.
- A specification of the area of intended operation of the organization i.e. the geographical area, field of operation e.g. health, education, gender and sexuality, etc
- A valid reservation of the organization’s name by the registrar of companies.
- A chart showing the organizational structure of the organization.
- A work plan and budget for the 1st year of operation.
- Payment receipts for registration fees.
- For local / indigenous organizations (NGOs wholly controlled by Ugandan citizens),they must additionally have ;
- A written recommendation to the Bureau by two sureties.
- A written recommendation by the Senior Assistant Secretary (chairperson) of the SNMC of the area where the organization intends to operate.
- A written recommendation by the RDC.
- Where the organization intends to operate through out Uganda, a written recommendation by at least two of the above.
Upon compliance with the above requirements, the Bureau then registers the Organization and is issued a certificate of registration as NGO with a registration Name, Number and date.
Once an organization is registered, it remains so registered unless its registration is cancelled, voluntary deregistered or if it is wound up.